Sunday 9 November 2014

Classic Album Review - Like A Virgin


Happy Birthday Like A Virgin, the classic album turns the big 3-0 this week. Older than many of my friends, and even my boyfriend ... but not me. The album came out when I was young and I didn't understand the brilliance of Madonna. I remember my neighbour loving it and listening and enjoying it. But it wasn't till 1989 when Madonna became my everything that I went back and discovered how great this album was.

On a tram this morning on the way to a photoshoot for MX, I listened to it once more and enjoyed it all over again. I'll try not to gush too much and stay objective, but it's just a bloody good album. The strength in this album lies in the singles, they are incredible. If the album has a weak spot, and I only say if, it's that the album tracks follow the 80's tradition of not being as good as the singles. As years passed, Madonna became much stronger with her album tracks.

It's interesting listening to Madonna's voice on these early tracks, just her second album. It sounds so much younger and has a distinct tone that only got better with age, and when Madonna took opera training during her Evita period.

Anyway, here's the track by track review:

Material Girl

A classic if ever there was one. Madonna even became known as "the Material Girl" due to this song. But take away the pop phenomenon, and is it a good track? The answer is unequivocally yes. (But you probably guessed I was gonna say that). Clever lyrics that guarantee you're singing along and a beat that makes you want to dance. There is a reason this song is so popular.

Angel

I always feel sorry for this great song. Sure it went to number 1 worldwide, but it was a double A side with the much more famous, "Into the Groove". Plus the song never got a film clip. It's a catchy mid-tempo ballad that's great to sing along with. "Angel" is probably the song from the album I listen to most now. If you haven't listened to it much, time to revisit. Madonna does light love songs well.

Like A Virgin
If you don't know this song, you may be dead. What a clip, what a song. Talking of cultural phenomenons, this song has been used in everything from a Tarantino film to an X Factor Nun in Italy releasing it as a single. There may be no better song that encapsulates the 80's and this clip helped herald the MTV era and turned Madonna from a singer to a superstar. I adore this song, still do, even after 30 years. Pure pop brilliance. "I made through the wilderness...."

Over and Over

The first of five album tracks, and I'd probably rank it at 2. Still catchy and the line, "I get up again, over and over" gets stuck in my head, over and over again. A solid album track, just not a single.

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

My favourite album track from this album, and for a while as a teen, my favourite song on the album. Clearly Madonna loved this cover too, because she re-recorded it and released it as a single on "Something to Remember", her best of the ballads album. This was 70's classic and has been recorded by many, I loved the Kate Ceberano cover in the 80's, but clearly this one is my favourite. There is such a passion in Madonna's voice, the cracks towards the end of the track are so emotive. And those lyrics, "Through the windmills of my eyes, everyone can see, the loneliness inside of me", they get me everytime. LOVE this track.

Dress You Up
The final single from the album, and another little catchy pop song that gets stuck in your head. I still love to play this song loud and proud. It was never the big hit it deserved to be, but time has been kind and it is still an amazing track. Go listen to it.

Shoo-Bee-Doo

Number 4 out of 5 in album tracks for me. A good song, just not a great one. Still fun to play and sing along with.

Pretender

Probably my least favourite song on the album, but having said that, I'd still prefer to listen to it than most songs by other artists. It's just that Madonna has so many good songs!

Stay

The final track on the album and my number 3 album track. Another song that's fun to sing with, but could never be a single.

So that's it, a great album. While I feel like I should call "Like A Virgin" my favourite track on the album, I think I have to answer "Angel" as my favourite track.

Below, tell me your favourite song on the album. Happy Birthday "Like A Virgin"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment