Wednesday 16 November 2016

Live Review: TLC @ Enmore Theatre 16.11.16


In front of a sell out crowd at the iconic Enmore Theatre in Sydney last night, TLC brought the house down performing all of their massive hits. And they were truly amazing!

If you hate those reviews where people talk about themselves, I'm sorry, you are going to hate this review. Before I can tell you about the show, I need to tell you why I was so excited to go last night. TLC have been a part of my life for 24 years (Chilli called all the fans family last night for loving them so long). Songs are memories, music is therapy - TLC has been both for me. I was in my final year in High School when their first album came out and I was instantly a fan, I remember doing homework on a Sunday while listening to American Top 40 on the radio - desperate for "Baby, Baby, Baby" to be number one. When "Crazy Sexy Cool" came out I was living away from home at Uni and was miserable, music was my only salvation and "Creep" was one of the songs that got me through. And then there's great memories I have with "No Scrubs" - iconic songs do that. These ladies played an important part in my life - so it was wonderful to finally see them play live last night.


I wanted a good spot last night, so got there early with my friend and we managed to secure a spot at the very front - and what a show we saw unfold before our eyes. The ladies were wonderful, their voices still as strong as ever. And they clearly loved being up there in front of their fans, they enjoyed the attention and we loved to scream, sing and dance. They were warm and funny and the limited talk breaks were casual and friendly - I feel in love with them a little more. The staging was simple but effective, a four piece band (including DJ) and four very. very talented dancers. The Enmore Theatre always has some of the best lighting in Sydney.

As for songs, there was everything I wanted and more. They had to have performed every single they've had in the solid 80 minutes. The early work featured early, it was great hearing, "What About Your Friends?" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" after all these years, and it was lovely that they kept in Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopez's rap verses - it felt fitting. "Creep" was as amazing as I hoped, while "Digging On You" gave them a chance to show off their great vocals.


For "Red Light Special" (always a favourite - it is such a sexy song), they took a man from the audience and Chilli sang for him. It was a lot of fun. My favourite track of theirs is, "Baby, Baby, Baby", so it was great hearing it - I also loved how they sped it up slightly. "Unpretty" was a crowd favourite with everyone singing along.

It was also great hearing their new tune, "Haters" from their upcoming album. Apparently Australia is the first place it's been released and many seem to know it already as a lot of us were singing the great song - they really have not lost their magic. I now can't wait for the album!


Naturally to finish we had the pleasure of hearing their biggest two hits. There must be something wrong with you if you don't like, "No Scrubs" -  it is iconic, it is brilliant. It brought the house down, by this stage even the ladies seemed surprised at how much the audience was loving the show. Then they finished with the big one, "Waterfalls", which they beautifully dedicated to their sister, Left-Eye. This song was a blur, it was so good. The whole crowd sang and the ladies voices soared. It was as close to religion as music gets!


What a great night, I'm a 41 year old man who totally fan-girled and was stoked to touch the hand of both ladies (and one of the hunky dancers), and Chilli sang a few things straight to me, so I'm like famous by extension ;)

But in all honesty, it was a great night of music that I will remember for a long time. They don't make them like TLC anymore!


No comments:

Post a Comment